Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Flat is Back

It's time to hang up the the tweed jacket and grandad cap for another year and dust off the top hat n tails the flat season starts today.

I've just recovered from Cheltenham and from what I've heard and read I seem to be in the minority that ended the week in the green so one gives thanks for that.

The flat is my thing, coming from the South of England Ascot,Newmarket, Goodwood and Epsom are in striking distance from my once home. Many an afternoon spent in the company of such greats as Lamtarra, Ouija Board, Sir Percy, High Chaperal,Takeover Target,Rockof Gibralter and recently Ramonti.

But the sunny Newmarket mile is a little over two months away and the Derby and Ascot are still a mark on the calender so the Shiek's helicopter comes into the Costa del Doncaster for the afternoon.

I'll look at three races this afternoon starting with:

Doncaster Spring Mile

A fresh horse does well historically here, who is aged 4 or 5 and is at the head of the market. I shall go for the favourite as his sire Sakhee was a champion miler and a highish draw should help.

2.50 - Zaahid €50 win @ 4
Don't Panic €2 place @ 2.5

Cammidge Trophy

The 1st big sprint of the year and I'll look for a horse that is again fresh and would have needed to have been in the Wentworth Stakes on this track last term or a big field handicap at Newmarket.

Two stand out for me.....Advance won the Ayr Gold Cup and Lady Grace did well at Newmarket last time out, it's a stiff task for her but she's good for a place in my opinion.

3.25 - Advanced €50 win @ 11
Lady Grace €25 place @ 5.1

Lincoln Heritage Handicap

Big race of the day and a big field, again I'm looking for a horse that performed well at a big field at Newmarket and ideally aged 4 - 6.

Two eye catchers here that have been given either a high or low draw.

4.00 - Rio River €50 win @ 9.8
Very Wide €25 @ 5.3

Good Luck Folks....I'll be back on either tomorrow or Monday for the Irish National.

JB

No comments: